June 11, 2018
Traveling Around: Zhouzhuang, China
Can you relate?
- If you visit Shanghai take a day or two side trip to an ancient water town, there are many.
- Take a canal cruise and have the boatswain sing to you.
- Use a driver from Zhouzhuang 600RMB (Tom 150-5166 5990, lives in Zhouzhang and has a family), a driver from Shanghai 2000RMB.
- Zhouzhuang makes it’s own beer and has a local distillery!
- This town is difficult to find a C-Trip hotel. Anyplace to stay in the city is listed as a Historical Site. After we booked a hotel under construction the Mayor came to our rescue!
- The lady in charge of tourism found a room for us with an older couple in the center of the preserved district for about 75RMB per night (including hot tea morning and night!)
- Remember, no parking in this ancient city. This place was not designed for cars! Commercial hotels are outside the ancient boundaries.
- Many artists with high quality artwork on sale on the streets of town. We got a great calligraphy by a struggling artist.
- Fishermen use cormorants to fish in Lake Taishi thus the reason so many boathouses as boats and birds come to roost.
- Zhouzhaung is known for the “double bridges”.
- Chinese Opera House on the “Ancient Platform” rebuilt in the year 2000.
- Many great silk shops, ties three for 60RMB
- Shops that spin their own cotton and make clothing of all sizes!
- Fantastic teapots made from stone!
- Shen Wansan, the first millionaire in the Lower Yangtze is from Zhouzhuang!
- Lot’s of walking around, many bridges, shops everywhere!
- Many places to eat, traditional Chinese food with reasonable prices.
Currently, we have 197 international schools listed in China on International School Community. 132 of them have had comments submitted on them. Here are a few of those schools:
Access International Academy (Ningbo) – 48 Comments
Beijing BISS International School – 67 Comments
Beijing International Bilingual Academy – 53 Comments
Canadian International School (Hong Kong) – 134 Comments
Changchun American International School – 111 Comments
Concordia International School (Shanghai) – 166 Comments
Guangzhou Nanfang International School – 163 Comments
Hong Kong International School – 127 Comments
Kang Chiao International School (Kunshan) – 81 Comments
Keystone Academy – 94 Comments
QSI International School of Dongguan – 64 Comments
If you are on a trip right now, away from your host country, write to us here with your “Can you relate?” traveling experiences. Tell us where you are traveling in the world, what you are seeing and how you are coping with any culture shock. Once your Traveling Around experience is posted on our blog, International School Community will give you 1 free year of premium membership!