Traveling Around: New York, United States (The life of an international school teacher is good!)
August 25, 2013
Can you relate?
• Being amazing on how there were not just one but multiple restaurants to choose from for all the different cuisines of the world.
• Checking out the China Town area and couldn’t believe how it really seems like we were in China (after having working at an international school in Shanghai for some time).
• Loving the new area to chill out next the Staten Island Ferry terminal, great views and not too crowded.
• Going to look at the new 9-11 memorial, long line to wait in…but the two water fountains were pretty spectacular.
• Buying too many things at all the unique cafes and stores, couldn’t resist wanting to try things not available in my host country.
• Traveling to this awesome city to see three of my friends from two of the countries that I have lived in, who now live in New York.
• Using the New York Subway system to get around and trying to act like I knew my way around it like a local (a bit of a fail).
• Thinking I saw Michael Cera near China Town, took a picture of him, and then hearing what my friends thought on Facebook…if it was really him (some thought so, some no).
• Trying to keep my head down while walk around in the city…couldn’t stop looking up at all the cool skyscrapers.
• Taking a stroll through 1/3 of Central Park and watching all the exercisers, relaxers, etc…the nature in that park is really wonderful.
• Looking at the Statue of Liberty from the Staten Island Ferry…the second time that I’ve done that!
• Purchasing a Groupon for a grocery store there and getting $40 for only $20…stocked up on some supplies for when I go back home.
• Getting to see the Manhattan skyline both in the morning, afternoon, sunset and night…thanks to my friend for letting me stay at his awesome Brooklyn apartment.
• Enjoying my fair share of bagels…toasted with a bit of honey…for my breakfast.
• Going to see a concert at a old jazz/blues club just right off of Times Square…what a location!
• Thanking my friend for letting me use their Museum of Modern Art membership pass. Probably wouldn’t have gone if I would have had to pay.
• Taking pictures of all the New Yorkers doing their thing as they walk down all the streets…there are some very interesting people walking around New York!
• Walking to Bryant Park at night at having a cool drink with a friend for some catching up.
• Going into Grand Central Station and thinking about all the movies that have been filmed there.
Currently we have 4 international schools listed in New York on International School Community:
If you are on a trip right now, away from your host country, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your “Can you relate?” traveling experiences. Tell us where you are traveling in the world, what you are seeing and how you are coping with any culture shock. Once your Traveling Around experience is posted on our blog, International School Community will give 6 free months of premium membership!