© 2023 internationalschoolcommunity.com
Life in Holland does indeed sound nice. Riding your bike to work and watching the canals as you dart in and out of the streets of Amsterdam could be something very easy to get used to every morning. The Insego website has highlighted some excellent tips that international teachers and their families could find very beneficial. I wish there would be a resource like this on every country in the world!
We have highlighted some of the tips’ categories:
10 Tips for Unemployed Expats
“Whether you are an expat’s wife or you came here because you fell in love or you just moved to a foreign country looking for new opportunities, whatever the reason, you may find yourself without a job. Well, I’ve been there. Without a job I lost my professional identity and I didn’t like this feeling at all…”
Media for Expats in Holland
“One of the most popular discussions on Insego is finding out the cultural faux pas in The Netherlands. Faux pas is a French term which literally means “misstep”. But for most of us, it means defiance from accepted customs and traditions. Faux pas varies from different cultures. Some behavior might be acknowledged in one culture while it is a no-no for another.
Here are the collected comments from our members on what they think are the cultural faux pas in Netherlands…”
What are the most common issues faced by expatriates?
“Transferring to another country whether for work, personal expedition or reasons of the heart can be tough and challenging. Aside from difficulty in adjusting to the new environment and culture, we also struggle with homesickness, making new friends and for some, finding a job and raising kids. Being an expat is a tough call. See what your fellow expats struggle with and may their experiences act as your inspiration and encouragement that you are not alone. You share the same experiences with many other expats in the world, so don’t be totally dismayed…”
- Dutch News– Quality English-language news about the Netherlands.
- Dutch Daily News – Covers, analyzes, comments on and defines the news, culture, entertainment, lifestyle, fashion and personalities that drive the Netherlands.
- Expatica.com- The biggest online English news and information provider for the international community in 11 European countries. It’s mission is to help Expats settle into their new country of residence. The content Expatica supplies covers various aspects of expat life, including relocation, culture, education, tax, immigration and local events.
- IamExpat– Online media platform that covers the local needs of the expatriate population, plenty of practical information.
- InterNations – Netherlands Expats Community, membership is invitation-only. Let us know if you want to join it, we will send the invitation.
- RNW- Radio Netherlands Worldwide. daily news in English as well as daily Dutch press reviews, opinion articles and links to the radio programs
- The Holland Times– News magazine covering Dutch current events and perspectives in the Netherlands.
- The Hague Online News for expat communities in The Hague region, including reviews and regular listings of cultural and leisure events.
- Xpat.nl -Publisher of famous Holland Handbook and Xpat Journal.
Currently there are 9 international schools listed in the Netherlands on International School Community. They are:
Rotterdam International Secondary School
American International School of Rotterdam
American School of the Hague
International School of the Hague
The British School of the Netherlands
British School of Amsterdam
International School Amsterdam
Amsterdam International Community School
International Secondary School Eindhoven
Check out their school profile pages on internationalschoolcommunity.com by clicking on the links above. If you currently work at one of these schools or have worked at one in the past, share what you know by leaving some new comments and information on your school’s profile page today! Out of our 281 members (since 14 Feb. 2012) we have one member that has listed that they work at or have worked at an international school in the Netherlands.